I want this blog to inspire and to challenge me.
I want this blog to help me to understand.
I want this blog to be a bridge between you (the reader) and I (the writer).
I want this blog to make us better at what we do...
The Struggle is Real
If you haven't ever been in charge before, it has its definite advantages and disadvantages. Sure, you make the schedule, it's 'your way or the highway' and the buck stops at YOU. But on the other hand, when you make the schedule it also means you have to fill the schedule when no one else can. When it's your way or the highway, it also means that if you point the highway going south, but you were meaning to go north... it's all on you... When the buck stops at you, it also means that the weight of all decision making is on your shoulders.
I like to keep blogs brief - so I want to share 3 of my struggles with you.
1) The Repeating loop of Stress that comes from LABOR. I try to keep our park running at an overall Labor of about 15% (including salary managers and all). In order to do that, I work 3 shifts a week, as well as Friday and Saturday. I am often on the floor working on the weekend, and I use the week to do bills, payroll, scheduling, park walks and maintenance. I get EXHAUSTED because a lot of times I am working 45-65 hours a week, but this is what has to be done to maintain a low Labor Cost (and to me, it's worth it because of the benefits that come. (I can explain what those are if you're interested.)
2) The Repeating loop of Stress that comes from State and Local regulatory systems... We are just getting into our slow season, which for a manager means Fire Marshall Inspection, DEHEC, Sprinkler System Inspection and Go-Kart Inspection. All of that along with my day to day work can be a lot, but its also renovation season to fix up the park from the Holidays and ready for the Spring and Summer. This is then compounded by the fact that (for us) our town can be the worst to deal with. They want the most absurd things from us (which I think is just because we aren't a multi-billion dollar corporation... I guess that's why there aren't many locally owned companies in this particular town.)
3) It is so hard to keep up with the industry because things are ALWAYS changing. Did you hear that people are retrofitting their Key Masters to hold Yeezy shoes? They are apparently revolutionizing the Key Master Market... Did you hear that the best giant plush for the Xtreme Big One is Giant Pikachu? He made our company nearly $5,000 (on less than $400 worth of Product) in less than a month. Did you know that the Ticket Time Crane is coming out with a second edition that in beta testing is out doing the first edition by almost 30%. We can learn so much from one another. Let's talk and be active with one another in what we are doing to succeed... that way we don't have to struggle through the easy stuff :-)
I hope this was interesting! Comment away! And Hit us up on Facebook to Use our Open Forum
www.facebook.com/FECMGR
Brian Lee
General Manager
Charleston Fun Park

No comments:
Post a Comment